Natural-Looking Tooth Repair
Dental bonding is used to repair a damaged tooth, cover up a cosmetic flaw, or in place of an amalgam filling. This solution looks completely natural and is a cost-effective way to fix minor tooth damage.
Bonding can be used on the front or back teeth, depending on the location and extent of the tooth’s damage. The dental bonding procedure consists of Dr. Lau applying a tooth-colored composite resin to one or more teeth, completed in just one appointment.
Reasons for Dental Bonding
When you visit our Northridge office looking to restore or enhance a tooth, we may recommend dental bonding if you’re in need of:
- Repairing decayed teeth
- Fixing chipped or cracked teeth
- Improving the appearance of discolored teeth
- Closing spaces between teeth
- Lengthening teeth
- Changing the shape of your teeth
- Protecting a part of the tooth’s root that has been exposed
Dental Bonding Benefits
There are several reasons why patients choose dental bonding, including:
- Fast – This procedure is typically completed in one visit.
- Affordable – Dental bonding is one of the least expensive treatments available.
- Minimally invasive – This treatment is non-surgical, painless, and doesn’t require any extra maintenance afterward.
- Versatile – The flexibility of the dental resin will allow Dr. Lau to use it for a variety of different issues.
- Durable – The bonding material can last up to 10 years with proper care.
The Dental Bonding Process
Our process for dental bonding can typically be completed in just one appointment at our Northridge dental office.
For your bonding treatment, minimal prep of the tooth is needed. While sedation isn’t necessary, we offer it to our patients who feel a little uneasy during their visits or for those who have a completely decayed tooth, a chipped tooth close to the nerve, or a tooth that needs to be reshaped or drilled.
Dr. Lau will closely match an appropriate composite resin to seamlessly blend with your smile. Once we’ve found the best match, we’ll place the white filling on the tooth. The resin will bond, be smooth to the desired shape, and be finished with a polishing treatment. Your restored tooth will help boost your self-esteem with its improved look.
Total Treatment Time
Most patients’ bonding procedures are completed within one appointment. Typically, the bonding process takes 30 to 60 minutes per tooth. The total treatment time may take longer depending on how many teeth are being bonded. Fortunately, there’s no need for molds or customizations — once the bonding process is complete, you’ll walk out of our office with a stunning new smile.
Caring for Bonded Teeth
Taking proper care of your teeth helps extend the life of a bonded tooth. The following tips will help increase the longevity of your bonded tooth:
- Brush your teeth twice a day
- Floss daily
- Avoid coffee & tobacco products for the first few days after the procedure to avoid stains
- Avoid hard food or candy
- Avoid nail biting
- Schedule regular dental checkups and cleanings every six months
Visit Mid-Valley Dental Care
If you’re looking for a treatment that will restore beauty to your smile in an affordable way, dental bonding may be right for you. To learn more about how Dr. Lau and our exceptional team can help you, call our Northridge office at (818) 886-3500 to schedule an appointment today. We look forward to meeting you!